Lighthouses & Parent/ Child Programing
1314 Main St. Swan River, MB | (204) 734-9301 | Fax: (204) 734-3090
Programmer: Emma-Leigh Rusk
Our light house program is for children ages 6-17 years old with the acceptation of anyone younger joining while being accompanied by an adult.
Our lighthouses program uses community facilities like schools and recreation centres for activities identified and organized by local children, youth and community members.
The Lighthouses program:
- supports community activities
- encourages partnerships among children, youth, families, community and justice representatives (police, probation)
- helps communities to design and deliver programs by children and youth, for children and youth
- includes activities with academic support and skill-building
- supports and encourages inter-agency co-operation in program delivery
- helps communities find funds for programs
Lighthouses can have tremendous benefits for participants. Statistics Canada observes that children and youth who participate in organized activities outside of school tend to have higher self-esteem, interact better with friends and perform better in school.
Lighthouses offer positive environments and operate in many communities throughout Manitoba. Activities normally take place at least once a week.
Remember to watch our Calendar or Monthly Newsletters for updates on what our youth in our community are doing for fun!
Click on the links for pictures of the children’s activities held by the E.C.F.C